Other Books in Series
This is book number 15 in the Elemental Masters series.
- #1: The Serpent's Shadow (Elemental Masters #1) (Mass Market): $8.99
- #2: The Gates of Sleep (Elemental Masters #2) (Hardcover): Email or call for price
- #3: Phoenix and Ashes (Elemental Masters #3) (Mass Market): $10.52
- #4: The Wizard of London (Elemental Masters #4) (Mass Market): $9.35
- #5: Reserved for the Cat (Elemental Masters #5) (Mass Market): Email or call for price
- #6: Unnatural Issue (Elemental Masters #6) (Hardcover): Email or call for price
- #7: Home From the Sea (Elemental Masters #7) (Hardcover): Email or call for price
- #8: Steadfast (Elemental Masters #8) (Hardcover): Email or call for price
- #9: Blood Red (Elemental Masters #9) (Hardcover): Email or call for price
- #10: From a High Tower (Elemental Masters #10) (Mass Market): $10.52
- #11: A Study in Sable (Elemental Masters #11) (Mass Market): $9.35
- #12: A Scandal in Battersea (Elemental Masters #12) (Hardcover): $31.59
- #13: The Bartered Brides (Elemental Masters #13) (Mass Market): $7.99
- #14: The Case of the Spellbound Child (Elemental Masters #14) (Hardcover): $27.00
The beloved Elemental Masters series moves to America for the first time in a rich retelling of The Queen of the Copper Mountain, set against the backdrop of Tennessee coal country.
Anna May Jones is the daughter of a coal miner. When her father succumbs to Black Lung, the coal company wastes no time in turning the family out of their home. In desperation, Anna May's mother sends her to live with her Aunt Jinny, a witchy-woman and an Elemental Master, in a holler outside of Ducktown.
As she settles into her new life, Anna May finds herself falling for a stonemason with such a talent for stonecarving that people come all the way from Memphis to commission statues and tombstones from him. But he's not content with his current skill--he wants to learn to carve stone so well it looks real.
When the stonemason disappears on a quest to fulfill his ambition, it is up to Anna May to follow and find him, armed with the new abilities Aunt Jinny has taught her. To save the man she loves, Anna May must journey into the mountain--and confront the horrors that lurk in the darkness of the mine.
About the Author
Mercedes Lackey is a full-time writer and has published numerous novels and works of short fiction, including the best-selling Heralds of Valdemar series. She is also a professional lyricist and a licensed wild bird rehabilitator.
Praise for the Elemental Masters series
“Lackey’s fantastical world of Elementals, plus her delightful Nan and Sarah, create an amusing contrast for Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes and John Watson…. The mix of humor, history, fantasy, and mystery is balanced in a way that any reader could pick up the book and thoroughly enjoy it from beginning to end.” —RT Reviews
“The Paris of Degas, turn-of-the-century Blackpool, and the desperation of young girls without family or other protection come to life in a story that should interest a broad readership.” —Booklist
“All in fine fairy-tale tradition.... It’s grim fun, with some nice historical detail, and just a hint of romance to help lighten things.” —Locus
“The action and dialogue flow freely, mingling with beautiful descriptions of European countryside and just a hint of romance.... A well-developed heroine and engaging story.” —Publishers Weekly
“The fifth in the series involving the mysterious Elemental Masters, this story of a resourceful young dancer also delivers a new version of a classic fairy tale. Richly detailed historic backgrounds add flavor and richness to an already strong series that belongs in most fantasy collections. Highly recommended.” —Library Journal
“The Elementals novels are beautiful, romantic adult fairy tales. Master magician Mercedes Lackey writes a charming fantasy.” —Worlds of Wonder
“Ms. Lackey is a master in fantasy, and this visit to an alternate historical England is no exception. Vivid characterization and believable surroundings are flawlessly joined in a well-detailed world.” —Darque Reviews
"I find Ms. Lackey's Elemental Masters series a true frolic into fantasy." —Fantasy Book Spot