Other Books in Series
This is book number 20 in the A Joe Pickett Novel series.
- #1: Open Season (A Joe Pickett Novel #1) (Paperback): $16.00
- #2: Savage Run (A Joe Pickett Novel #2) (Paperback): $9.99
- #3: Winterkill (A Joe Pickett Novel #3) (Paperback): $9.99
- #4: Trophy Hunt (A Joe Pickett Novel #4) (Paperback): $9.99
- #5: Out of Range (A Joe Pickett Novel #5) (Paperback): $9.99
- #6: In Plain Sight (A Joe Pickett Novel #6) (Paperback): $9.99
- #7: Free Fire (A Joe Pickett Novel #7) (Paperback): $9.99
- #8: Blood Trail (A Joe Pickett Novel #8) (Paperback): $9.99
- #9: Below Zero (A Joe Pickett Novel #9) (Paperback): $9.99
- #10: Nowhere to Run (A Joe Pickett Novel #10) (Paperback): $9.99
- #11: Cold Wind (A Joe Pickett Novel #11) (Paperback): $9.99
- #12: Force of Nature (Paperback): $9.99
- #13: Breaking Point (A Joe Pickett Novel #13) (Paperback): $9.99
- #14: Stone Cold (Paperback): $9.99
- #15: Endangered (A Joe Pickett Novel #15) (Paperback): $9.99
- #16: Off the Grid (A Joe Pickett Novel #16) (Hardcover): Email or call for price
- #17: Vicious Circle (A Joe Pickett Novel #17) (Paperback): $9.99
- #18: The Disappeared (A Joe Pickett Novel #18) (Paperback): $9.99
- #19: Wolf Pack (A Joe Pickett Novel #19) (Hardcover): $27.00
- #21: Dark Sky (A Joe Pickett Novel #21) (Hardcover): $28.00
"Impressive precision and heart-gripping suspense....Good characters, an extra good story, and great scenes of life and death in the wilderness"--New York Times Book Review
Wyoming game warden Joe Pickett must investigate an attempted murder--a crime committed from a confoundingly long distance--in the riveting new novel from #1 New York Times bestselling author C. J. Box.
When Joe Pickett is asked to join the rescue efforts for the victim of a startling grizzly attack, he reluctantly leaves his district behind. One survivor of the grizzly's rampage tells a bizarre story, but just as Joe begins to suspect the attack is not what it seems, he is brought home by an emergency on his own turf. Someone has targeted a prominent local judge, shooting at him from a seemingly impossible distance. While the judge was not hit, his wife is severely wounded, and it is up to Joe to find answers--and the shooter.
The search for the would-be assassin becomes personal when Joe's best friend, Nate Romanowski --just as he's adjusting to the arrival of his first child--falls under suspicion for the crime. It's a race against the clock as Joe tries to clear Nate's name and identify the real shooter, all while deciphering the grizzly encounter. Beset by threats both man-made and natural, the two men must go to great lengths to keep their loved ones safe.
About the Author
C. J. Box is the author of nineteen Joe Pickett novels, five stand-alone novels, and a story collection. He has won the Edgar, Anthony, Macavity, Gumshoe, and Barry Awards, as well as the French Prix Calibre .38, and has been a Los Angeles Times Book Prize finalist. A Wyoming native, Box has also worked on a ranch and as a small-town newspaper reporter and editor. He lives outside Cheyenne with his family. His books have been translated into twenty-seven languages.
“[A] fast-paced, tightly written tale…The main plot, along with several subplots, is filled with so many twists and red herrings that Box keeps readers guessing almost to the end.”--Associated Press
“Box has established a terrific cast of Western characters… When it comes to western contemporary thrillers with intriguing characters, no one does it better than Box.”--Columbus Dispatch
“Long Range (with its surprise ending) shows Box has lost none of his punch as both he and Joe Pickett grow older.”--Denver Post
"Clever plotting keeps this conspiracy yarn moving briskly, and the scenes depicting Nate’s abuse while in prison are harrowing. This is another top-flight crime yarn illustrating why Box’s readers are never happier than when Joe and Nate have reason to “get western.”--Publishers Weekly (starred review)
"[An] incredibly good read, a fast-paced, riveting mystery thriller with so many twists and turns and surprises you never saw coming that it will have you on the edge of your seat all the way to the end."--Washington Times
"Box has secured his reputation as an author who can take this increasingly popular genre—the modern western—and make it do whatever he wants...with a clear, easy style that plays nicely against the pulse-pounding tension. Box remains the gold standard among writers of modern western-mystery blends."--Booklist
"Fans of this outstanding series will know better than to place their money against Joe."--Kirkus Reviews
“Box has expertly woven together a tense action-filled story, a true page-turner, which incorporates greed, unrequited love, revenge and the worst of luck – luck that destroys lives and puts some favorite characters at ultimate risk.” --Durango Herald