Other Books in Series
- #1: The Last Kingdom (Saxon Tales #1) (Paperback): $16.99
- #2: The Pale Horseman: A Novel (Saxon Tales #2) (Paperback): $16.99
- #3: Lords of the North: A Novel (Saxon Tales #3) (Paperback): $16.99
- #4: Sword Song: The Battle for London (Saxon Tales #4) (Paperback): $16.99
- #5: The Burning Land: A Novel (Saxon Tales #5) (Paperback): $16.99
- #6: Death of Kings: A Novel (Saxon Tales #6) (Paperback): $16.99
- #7: The Pagan Lord: A Novel (Saxon Tales #7) (Paperback): $16.99
- #8: The Empty Throne: A Novel (Saxon Tales #8) (Paperback): $16.99
- #9: Warriors of the Storm: A Novel (Saxon Tales #9) (Paperback): $16.99
- #10: The Flame Bearer (Saxon Tales) (Paperback): $16.99
- #11: War of the Wolf: A Novel (Saxon Tales #11) (Paperback): $16.99
- #12: Sword of Kings: A Novel (Saxon Tales #12) (Large Print / Paperback): $29.99
In the middle years of the ninth century, the fierce Danes stormed onto British soil, hungry for spoils and conquest. Kingdom after kingdom fell to the ruthless invaders until but one realm remained. And suddenly the fate of all England—and the course of history—depended upon one man, one king.
New York Times bestselling author Bernard Cornwell’s The Last Kingdom is a rousing epic adventure of courage, treachery, duty, devotion, majesty, love, and battle as seen through the eyes of a young warrior who straddled two worlds.
“Historical novels stand or fall on detail, and Mr. Cornwell writes as if he has been to ninth-century Wessex and back.”—WALL STREET JOURNAL
About the Author
BERNARD CORNWELL is the author of the acclaimed New York Times bestselling Saxon Tales series, which includes The Last Kingdom, The Pale Horseman, Lords of the North, Sword Song, The Burning Land, Death of Kings, The Pagan Lord, and, most recently, The Empty Throne and Warriors of the Storm, and which serves as the basis for the hit television series The Last Kingdom. He lives with his wife on Cape Cod and in Charleston, South Carolina.
“Intoxicating….Thrilling….Cornwell conveys the disquiet of change and the melancholy of extinction as few historical novelists manage to.”
— Washington Post Book World
“Enter Cornwell’s vividly drawn ninth-century Kingdom … after this dip into the Dark Ages, we want to go back.”
— Entertainment Weekly
“Enthralling ... the desperate, heroic struggle of Alfred “the Great” ... against the seemingly invincible Vikings.
— Wall Street Journal
“History comes alive.”
— Boston Globe
“A crackling good storyteller.”
— Publishers Weekly
“Cornwell .... makes the usually gloomy ninth century sound like a hell of a lot of fun.”
— Kirkus Reviews
“Highly recommended … another great historical series in the making.”
— Library Journal (starred review)
“Masterful....[An]irresistible epic adventure....Cornwell deserves praise for his mesmerizing narrative finesse and his authentic historical detailing.”